Monday, February 1, 2010

The Joys of Home Ownership (Part 1)

Keeping my streak of horrible moving-day weather alive, Erik and I (along with a great deal of help from Mom, Dad, and van) transferred all of our wordly possessions from apartment to house over a very cold, very snowy weekend. There are no pictures of the move because, quite honestly, I don't want to remember it. (There were tears. There was shouting. There were monumental dips in blood sugar. In a nutshell: not fun.)


And to clarify: We moved our things. We were not able to move in because our furnace died.


Luckily, Erik had already taken out some of his frustrations on the slapdash wall job surrounding the HVAC appliances. This allowed us (and repairmen) a better view of the bohemoth - and after three service trips, our 1994 furnace was officially/finally declared kaput.

Furnace room, pre-demo.



Et voila - the bane of our existence!


But it wasn't all bad news: Since our house was below freezing, the leaky pipe in our upstairs bathroom wasn't able to cause much damage - instead, we just had a nice 1/4"-thick coating of ice all across the tile floor. (Ditto on the lack of pictures - I was too fed up to document the process of shoveling ice into the bathtub and using our soft, pristine towels [we were saving them for the new house!] to sop up the remaining mess.)

And so, after scrubbing out the apartment and wrangling two disgruntled cats into the car, we said a last goodbye to Hyattsville House (oh, the mem'ries):



The parking lot where Erik and I had our first goodnight kiss...



... the circle in which I almost assaulted an elderly gentleman for insinuating (while I was carrying moving boxes down to my car, no less) that I was fat, not pregnant, and rude for choosing to park my car there...


... and the 2"x6" mailbox in which many a Netflix disc was cracked by our jaded postal worker.


We'd be spending the next few days camping out in my parents' basement, waiting for the installation of a new furnace, delivery of our kitchen appliances, and an estimated project completion timeline from our contractor.

No comments:

Post a Comment